I LOVE to teach, and I especially LOVE helping people lead healthier lives. I’ve always been into eating clean, working out, and taking care of myself, and I enjoy encouraging others to do the same (even if that sounds lame). It helps me look better, feel better, set an example, and live a better quality of life. I want to take care of myself now because I know I will reap the rewards both now AND later in life with my health…and I want everyone to experience that! Health issues are extremely taxing- physically, mentally, and financially, for everyone involved….so I’m all about some PREVENTION!
Living a healthy lifestyle is super rewarding for so many reasons, and that is why I’m so passionate about helping others develop healthy habits. I know that change can be scary and intimidating, but it is always so rewarding to see how excited others are when they start benefitting from the results of making healthier choices. Even small things can make a huge difference! And it really is doable!
Since I have been in Advocare, I’ve had the opportunity to get to know and help a lot of people take control of their health. Some of the transformations have been truly amazing…it seriously blows me away. It’s about way more than weight loss and energy, although those are definitely two of the areas where people are really getting incredible results. I have friends who are coming off medicine or cutting dosages, are sleeping better, are lowering numbers (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.), and performing better. It is so rewarding to help people achieve those! Honestly, it’s amazing to see how much nutrition plays a role in our overall health. That’s why I’m such a firm believer in clean eating + nutritional supplementation….
One of the biggest struggles I have seen so far has been with DIGESTION. People REALLY have issues with their digestive systems, whether it’s IBS, irregularity, bloating, indigestion, heartburn, constipation, or the other end of that spectrum. I know, I know…we don’t really like to talk about #2…but it’s just reality. Everyone does it. And some really struggle with issues related to digestion.
Thankfully I haven’t ever really had to deal with digestion issues, but I have friends and family members who do or have and I know it is so frustrating and uncomfortable. And honestly, the few times I have had issues, I can say that is was absolutely MISERABLE!!!! I feel for those of you who have issues with your digestive system because it is definitely NO FUN.
Did you know you can carry up to 10 lbs of JUNK in your digestive tract?? That is a LOT! Think about a 10 lb dumbbell…..in your intestines! That can leave somebody feeling majorly bloated, tired, and yucky. Not cool! And that’s not even the worst part.
According to this post by Dr. Hyman, “Most of us (including most doctors) do not recognize or know that digestive problems wreak havoc in the entire body, leading to allergies, arthritis, autoimmune disease, rashes, acne, chronic fatigue, mood disorders, autism, dementia, cancer, and more.”
Restoring your “gut” (intestines/digestive system) to balance can have significant effects on our overall health, so I always like people to start here.
Here are a few tips and products that multiple people have had great success with regarding digestion issues:
1. HYDRATE!!! Water is crucial in keeping everything “moving” and flushing out toxins. If you struggle with issues, try increasing your water intake. Start first thing in the morning to replenish the dehydration that occurred while you were sleeping.
2. Eat your fiber. Think fruits, veggies, leafy greens, & whole grains. Try to eat real, whole, unprocessed foods. They “go through” our systems better because this is what we’re meant to put in our bodies. (As much as I love Fiber One cereal and bars, they are still processed and have a lot of extra ingredients, so I avoid them as well….The more REAL the food, the better.)
If you don’t “like” healthy foods, I like Amazing Grass & the Fiber Drink. It has 10 g of fiber and I like to use it a couple times a week.
3. Avoid anything fried or high in fat/sugar. This type of junk has a way of making you bloated & can slow down digestion. I would also be aware of food allergies and try playing around with your diet. Some of us have issues triggered from seemingly healthy food groups like wheat and dairy, so be aware of how they affect your body. (It may be worth eliminating or moderating one of those two groups in particular.)
4. Eat a HEALTHY breakfast within 30 minutes of waking and eat small meals every few hours throughout the day. You want to shoot for a combo of protein & complex carbs (this is NOT the time for junk)! I also try to eat around the same times every day so my body knows what to expect. This keeps your metabolism burning, keeps your blood sugar stable, which all can have a positive effect on regulating your “movements.”
5. Cleanse every few months. This is a newer one for me, but I’ve heard LOTS about cleansing lately. I did my first ever “cleanse” in March of this year and could not even BELIEVE how incredible I felt! I was shocked because I already eat so healthy & am so regular- I couldn’t imagine I would have a whole lot of junk built up. But toxins are everywhere! In our food, environments, even beauty products. This is almost like hitting reset on your system and it is the BOMB.
- Available in Citrus and Peaches & Cream
- Helps rid the body of toxins and waste*
- Supports improved digestion and thorough internal cleansing*
- Provides 10 grams of fiber per day
- Helps remove impurities from the body*
- Supports healthy weight loss*
6. Take Probiotics. Our bodies need the good bacteria. Probiotics help balance and restore our gut flora by replacing the healthy bacteria, and also help improve our immune systems. This is one of the products I have taken regularly since I’ve been pregnant and it has helped BIG TIME. I haven’t been eating quite as healthy as normal (that’s another story for another day), so that means I’m not as regular as normal. (I was on schedule like clockwork.) There was one day I forgot to take my Probiotics, and it was NOT a good situation…lesson learned! I know they work!
- Helps maintain normal beneficial intestinal microflora*
- Supports healthy intestinal function*
- Enhances weight management*
- Improves nutrient absorption*
- Aids in good digestion*
- Provides immune system support*
- Helps relieve symptoms of occasional constipation*
7. Take Omegas. We need the good healthy fats to replace the bad fats. Omegas are just good for EVERY system in your body, and the digestive tract is no exclusion. If I can recommend ONE supplement for EVERYONE to take, this is it. Here’s WHY.
- Supplies 1,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per serving
- Contains both EPA and DHA fatty acids
- Plays an important role in the transportation of nutrients*
- Helps support normal blood flow and healthy blood pressure*
- Promotes cardiovascular health in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise*
- Helps promote healthy metabolism*
- Helps maintain a healthy immune system*
- Promotes maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails*
8. Try Digest-Ease. This helps with relief from occasional heartburn, acid indigestion, gas, or
upset stomach. It also helps to improve intestinal function and digestion AND nutrient absorption. I love this one because it helps with so many aspects of healthy digestion.
- Supports healthy digestion and intestinal function*
- Helps relieve occasional heartburn*
- Enhances absorption of nutrients*
- Helps relieve occasional stomachache, acid indigestion and gas*
- Helps maintain benefits of other AdvoCare® products
- Use with ProBiotic Restore™ to help re-establish healthy intestinal microorganism balance*
8. Avoid medication (when possible). I know they are meant for good and can be helpful, but I’m a firm believer that our food & nutrition are the best form of medicine, and I don’t like putting anything “foreign” into my body if at all possible.
10. Stress less. Easier said than done, right? I know, but the deal is, stress can wreak havoc on your digestion. Big Jon takes Clear Mood & Oasis to help with stress & anxiety and LOVES it.
- Helps brighten mood*
- Provides support for relaxation*
- Helps ease the effects of stress and worry*
- Helps your body adapt to physical and other sources of stress*
- Contains a combination of super fruits known for their antioxidants, polyphenols and anti-inflammatory properties*
- Provides immune and cognitive support*
- Contains B vitamins for energy and immune support*
- In a convenient stick pack
If you want to learn more about any of those products or give them a try, you can do that HERE.
If nothing else, try implementing a few things off the list and see how it helps. Digestive issues are SO not cool….and sometimes it just takes a small change to improve it.