I have come to a harsh realization in the past year or so that I am super easily offended. People's words, facial expressions, and tones tend to REALLY offend me, and I get my feelings hurt easily because of that.
In the past, I have chalked it up to lack of tact or jealousy on their part. I know people don't mean to offend me (that's just rude!), so I can't get mad at them for it. But recently, I have realized that maybe I'm a little too sensitive. Maybe it's me??? Maybe I just need to get over it and ignore it. I think the reason it bothers me so much is because I am overly cautious not to say anything that I think might offend anyone. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and it's almost to the point of being a fault....I have worked on being more bold about my thoughts and feelings (without being rude).
Need a few examples?? (I'm not exxaggerating here, these are true stories...)
1) Someone once said to me "If you lost weight, you would really be a bombshell."
2) "Yea, I thought you were super snobby when I first met you."
3)When I was getting the facial on Wednesday, the esthetician pretty much said my skin is awful and my eyebrows are WAYYYYY too thin, all the while indicating through her various tones and statements that I have no clue about skin care.
4) A man was screaming at me yesterday to hang the phone up while we were stopped at a redlight. Yes, I know I was on the phone, but I was at a REDLIGHT!! I did not do anything out of line, cut him off, drive too slow, whatever. He was seriously screaming at me! I couldn't believe it.
5) In college, someone said to me, "What happened to you? You used to be a great pitcher in high school."
6) "Yea, we worry about how much your weight fluctuates."
7) "I wonder who nominated you for teacher of the year."
and my favorite...
(this one REALLY makes me angry!)
8) "Yea, I wasn't sure about you and Jonathan. I didn't think y'all would make it."
What the heck is wrong with people???? I would NEVER....
There are seriously COUNTLESS examples....those are just a few that pop into my head.
I am posting this because it is something I am really trying to work on. I can't control other people, but I can control how I allow myself to react to them. I know people typically do not have any ill intentions, so why should I let it bother me?? I shouldn't. From now on, when people say ridiculous things to me, it's in one ear and out the other....